If you were to open up your kitchen cupboard, you would probably find various types of cooking oils. Common cooking oils are canola, vegetable, avocado, olive, sesame, peanut, etc. Do you find yourself using one over the other?
Let’s make the switch shall we?
We’re here to add cannabis to that list and it’s so easy to make right at home. Why go buy it when you can make your own?
All you have to do is infuse cannabis into one of your favorite cooking oils . Consider what types of foods you would like to cook/bake and chose your preferred oil off of that.
You don’t have to use it every time you cook/bake, just when you’re in the mood for some cannabis infusion.
Make Your Own
With the help of Leafly, we found a recipe to follow. Below is a list of the materials and ingredients you will need.
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Saucepan, stock pot, double-boiler, or slow cooker
- Mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Container for cannabis oil
- Cannabis grinder (optional)
- 1 cup cooking oil of your choice
- 1 cup (7-10 grams) of ground cannabis, decarboxylated
When making cannabis cooking oil, we recommend a 1:1 ratio of cannabis to oil. If you want milder effects, use less cannabis.
- Decarb the cannabis. We recommend decarboxylating your weed first, and then putting it in oil. Decarbing turns THCA in the plant into THC, the psychoactive compound that will get you high. Set your oven to 245ºF and put buds on parchment paper on a baking pan. Heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Grind or break up the cannabis. Grinders break weed down to the same consistency and will save you time, but you can just as easily break up the weed with your hands. Keep in mind that anything small enough to fit through the mesh strainer or cheesecloth will end up in your finished product, so don’t grind the weed into a fine powder.
- Heat oil and decarbed cannabis. Add oil and decarbed cannabis to double-boiler, slow cooker, or saucepan, and simmer on low for 2-3 hours. Make sure the temperature of the oil stays between 160-200ºF.
- Strain and store the oil. Put mesh strainer or cheesecloth over container for oil and pour the oil/cannabis mixture through it. Do not squeeze it out—this will add more chlorophyll to your oil and make it taste more vegetal. Discard the plant material. The oil will have a shelf life of at least two months and can be extended with refrigeration.
When you consume food made with cannabis oil it is similar to consuming edibles or anything made with cannabutter. Side note: if you haven’t made cannabutter, definitley do that too! Click that link for a recipe.
After you make your cannabis cooking oil, try a little. Do you like it? Need to add more cannabis? It’s better to make any changes now rather than make a whole meal and not like the way it tastes.
Just remember, the effects will take a little longer to come on but may be stronger and last longer. We recommend starting slow and increase from there. If you just made a meal using your cannabis oil, chill for 45-60 mins before diving it for seconds. Only get more if you are wanting stronger effects.
Hope this was fun and easy to make. Enjoy!
To shop our PassinGrass menu, click here. If you have any questions and/or are looking for a recommendation, just let us know. We would love to help you find what you are looking for. Enjoy!