This California sunshine makes it the perfect time for yummy brownies, cookies, cakes, and more.
Why not add cannabis to them?
Cannabutter is cannabis-infused butter and one of the easiest ways to make edibles a home. When cooking with cannabis and/or baking edibles, butter is the perfect for a cannabis infusion because it’s simple, delicious and THC needs to bind to fat molecules.
Thanks to Leafly, we found this delicious recipe and wanted to share it with you.
BAKING MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Saucepan, stock pot, double-boiler, or slow cooker
- Mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Container for cannabutter
- Cannabis grinder (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ground cannabis (7-10 grams), decarboxylated *** Order flower from PassinGrass***
When making cannabutter, we recommend a 1:1 ratio of cannabis to butter. If you are wanting more mild effects, we recommend using less cannabis. If needed, you can increase the butter amount too. You can always add more weed, but cannot take it out and we don’t want to waste any of the good stuff.
- Decarb the cannabis. Preheat the oven to 245ºF. Cover the baking sheet with parchment paper and place the loosely broken up cannabis on it. Heat in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Gently mix the buds every 10-15 minutes to expose all sides of the buds. (Older, drier cannabis may require less time.) Tip: You can also set your oven to 300ºF and heat for 10-15 minutes, although the low-and-slow approach is recommended to better preserve cannabinoids and terpenes.
- Grind or break up the cannabis. Grinders break weed down to the same consistency and will save you time, but you can just as easily break up the weed with your hands. Keep in mind that anything small enough to fit through the mesh strainer or cheesecloth will end up in your finished product, so be careful not to grind the weed into a fine powder.
- Melt the butter. On low heat, melt 1 cup of butter in a saucepan, stock pot, double-boiler, or slow cooker. Add 1 cup of water, which will help regulate temperature and prevent the butter from scorching.
- Add the cannabis. After the butter is fully melted, add in the decarbed cannabis.
- Simmer. Simmer on low heat, between 160-200ºF; don’t exceed 200ºF or you may burn out the cannabinoids. Simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture should never come to a full boil.
- Strain the mixture. Place a mesh strainer or cheesecloth over a jar and pour the butter/cannabis mixture through it. Discard the plant material. Tip: Don’t squeeze out every bit of butter—this will add chlorophyll to your cannabutter, giving it a bad plant taste.
- Refrigerate. Place the jar of butter in a fridge, and let it solidify before using, ideally overnight, or a few hours at least. If excess water forms at the bottom of the jar, remove the solid butter with a knife and drain out the water.
HOW IS CANNABUTTER USED TO MAKE EDIBLES:
The infusion process takes just a few hours but it is such a simple task that even beginners can do it. After you infuse butter with cannabis, you can use that weed butter to make all the delicious baked goods or just simply spread some on your morning toast or dinner roll.
The cannabis must be decarboxylated to properly infuse it with butter. This process converts THCA in the plant into THC by activating the plant’s psychoactive potential in your edibles. Heat is an essential part of the decarboxylation process. For cannabutter, decarboxylation is done by heating cannabis at a low temperature in an oven before adding it to the butter. Just like when you put a flame to a bowl or joint, that heat decarboxylates the plant material by turning THCA into THC which will results in the high euphoria.
It is that easy. Now that you have made your cannabutter, it’s time to make some edibles. As with all edibles, we always suggest you start low and go slow. It is difficult to determine the dosage within an edible. So, try a little bit first, wait 45-60 minutes for effects to kick in and have more only if you wanting those stronger effects. You’re ready for more, the opportunities are endless for what you can whip up in the kitchen. Cookies, brownies, cakes = yum.
Take your family favorite and turn it into a cannabis masterpiece. If you try out this cannbutter recipe we would love to hear your thoughts on it.
To shop our current PassinGrass menu, click here. If you have any questions and/or are in need of a recommendation, just ask. We would love to help you find what you are looking for.
We are available for delivery Monday-Saturday, 11:00 AM – 6:45 PM. Get your order in now! Enjoy.
SHOP PG ORGANIX PRODUCTS
We would love to meet you and help you with all your CBD needs! Come check us out at the Livermore Farmer’s Market on Thursday’s and Sunday’s.
Come find us and shop all things PG Organix from cbd drops, gummies, sleep gummies, topicals to pet treats. This is such a great opportunity to meet us in person, shop our products, ask questions, get recommendations, hang out and enjoy all the local vendors.
To shop our products ahead of time, click here.