There is something about this warm California weather and sunshine that makes me want to bake brownies and spend all the time outside!
Come and try this “Weed Brownie Recipe” we found on Food52. Let us know what you think!
Bring on the Fudge
When you think edibles, I’m sure you often think about the iconic weed brownies. Why is that?
Weed brownies reign supreme over all edibles for two reasons. One, they are super easy to whip up in the kitchen and chocolate makes everything taste good, even weed. Boxed mix is quick and works if you are in a hurry, but from-scratch brownies are on a whole new level, especially with homeade cannabutter in the batter. Two, this recipe only requires one bowl which makes for an easy cleanup.
Of course, cakey brownies are delicious. But with this recipe we are going to bring on the fudge with double chocolate. The molasses gives a caramel note and adds moisture while dark chocolate (at least 60 percent cacao) balances the sweet with a hint of bitterness. Chewy and gooey rank high on the texture meter, and these brownies capture both in one bite.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 2 hours
Makes: 16 brownies (8 to 10 milligrams THC per brownie)
This recipe yields 16 chocolatey brownies. 1 gram of weed infused into 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter doses the brownies at 8 to 10 milligrams THC (the chemical that gets you high) per brownie. For edibles newbies, use less cannabutter, supplementing with regular butter, to start at an even lower dose of 2 to 5 milligrams per brownie.
You can follow this recipe, using the same quantity of standard unsalted butter instead of cannabutter. The combination of rich chocolate and crunchy nuts masks the flavor of weed, so be sure to label them carefully. No one likes to play edible roulette.
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 gram quality cannabis flower
- Click here for our previous blog post on making cannabutter
Double chocolate Weed Brownies
- 1/4 cup (21 grams) natural cocoa powder, plus more for the pan
- Cannabutter (above)
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) chopped dark chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (57 grams) chopped toasted nuts (optional)
- Make the cannabutter, following the quantities listed above
- Butter an 8×8-inch pan, then dust with cocoa. Heat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a bain marie (or in the microwave in 10-second intervals), melt the cannabutter and dark chocolate. Remove the bowl from the heat, then add the sugar, molasses, vanilla, and salt.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each. Beat for about 5 minutes, until a 5-second ribbon forms on the top of the batter when you lift the whisk. Stir in the chopped nuts (if you’re using them). Sift or whisk the flour with the cocoa powder, then add to the chocolate mixture. Combine just until the flour disappears (don’t overmix).
- Pour the batter into the pan and place in the center of the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes, until a glossy top forms and starts to crack. Keep an eye on the edges, they will firm up first. To check, insert a toothpick near the corner—it should have a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before cutting into 16 brownies. (If you’d like—and if your pan isn’t glass—you can plunge the pan into cold water immediately out of the oven. The temperature shock achieves a chewy crust while maintaining the gooey center, a tip I learned from Eric Kim.)
- Store the brownies in an airtight container for up to a week. For longer storage, cut and freeze the brownies, then warm up in the microwave or oven before serving.
As a friendly reminder, with homemade edibles, go slow. You may want to start with half a serving and determine your tolerance and ideal dose from there. As always wait a couple hours to feel the effects. Enjoy!
To shop our current PassinGrass menu, click here. If you have any questions and/or are in need of a recommendation, just ask. We would love to help you find what you are looking for.
We are available for delivery Monday-Saturday, 11:00 AM – 6:45 PM. Get your order in now! Enjoy.